You may have already picked out your crib, now it’s time to check another major decision off your list. Just like everything else we recommend for you and your baby, we have done some extensive research to find the Top Crib Mattresses to help you and your baby rest easy.
How We Ranked the Top Crib Mattresses
Let’s talk about the good stuff you want to look for in a crib mattress so you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing you found the best option for your baby.
Firmness– Crib mattresses should always be firm to provide the safest surface for babies to sleep.
Hypoallergenic Layers– To put it simply, you want to minimize the possibility of an allergic response. This is usually the main reason for the price difference of a $100 crib mattress to a $300+ crib mattress. However, we did find one for under $150 to include on our list!
Price– Our top crib mattress picks are all just about $300, but they each offer different features. Everyone’s budget will be different, but it is something you should consider before shopping.
Size– Most standard crib mattresses are about 28” x 52”, but there can be small variations. You want to make sure that the mattress you choose fits snugly inside the crib for safety.
Waterproof Cover– You want to be able to use the same mattress with your baby from the newborn stage through toddlerhood and maybe even afterward, so it is important to use a waterproof cover to keep it in good shape. I recommend looking for a mattress brand that makes their own covers so you can ensure a good fit.
Certifications– Ideally, you want to buy a mattress that has been third party tested and is Greengaurd GOLD Certified to ensure cleaner air for babies to breathe for a healthier environment.
Looking for more information on crib safety? Check out this article from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
5 TOP CRIB MATTRESSES of 2023
BEST OVERALL CRIB MATTRESS
Newton Baby Crib Mattress
The Newton crib mattress is one of the most innovative crib mattresses on the market which is why it is first on our Top Crib Mattress picks. No other mattress allows you to zip-off the cover AND wash the entire CORE. The breathability is unmatched, and it’s free of all the bad stuff you want to avoid to keep your baby safe and healthy.
This mattress works for both infants and toddlers — but unlike other 2-step mattresses, you don’t have to flip this one over. Instead, it accommodates both infants and toddlers with a mattress firmness that lives somewhere in between both firm and soft.
WHY WE LOVE IT?
- Highly breathable cover and core which is the most important part of the mattress. This gives us peace of mind that the baby is sleeping safely
- Zip-off machine washable cover and washable core!
- Two-stage firmness, which basically means it’s an ideal firmness for both infant and toddler stages
- No bad stuff. No polyurethane or foams. No chemical flame retardants. No vinyl or latex. No odors or off-gassing.
- Greenguard GOLD Certified with wovenaire food-grade LDPE core.
- The cover and core are comfortable and silent! No crinkly noises when your baby wiggles around
- Also available in a mini crib mattress that has the same features as the Original
PRICE: $299.99 for the Original. Newton Baby also sells a version that includes a waterproof cover for about $50 more.
BEST ORGANIC CRIB MATTRESS
Naturepedic Organic Baby Crib Natural Mattress
Naturepedic is known industry wide as the best in the non toxic crib mattress category. Naturepedic’s mattresses exceed all baby sleep safety standards and their mattresses are GOTS, GOLS, Non-GMO, Greenguard Gold, and Green America Certified. This means it’s a safe, worry-free choice for your baby.
WHY WE LOVE IT?
- This breathable crib mattress offers 2-stage firmness to provide a firmer side for infants and a medium-firm side for toddlers
- 100% GOTS certified mattress passes all government flammability requirements while maintaining UL/GREENGUARD certifications for low chemical emissions
- The organic cotton fabric has a patented waterproof coating over the surface that makes for an easy clean with just soap and water
- Patented wavesupport core is strong yet incredibly lightweight making it super easy to change sheets
BEST TWO STAGE CRIB MATTRESS
Tempur-Pedic® TEMPUR-Dream™ 2-Stage Crib Mattress
Your baby deserves the best and Tempur-Pedic is a tried and true name in the mattress world. You both can catch some extra ZZZ’z on this crib mattress during the newborn stage up to toddlerhood and beyond. It’s non-toxic, waterproof, and features a cozy fabric cover that’s as safe as it is durable.
WHY WE LOVE IT?
- Exclusive CozyFresh™ Waterproof Fabric Cover offers breathable silky smooth fibers and gentle quilting for babies
- 360° Zip-off cover design for convenient washing
- A non-toxic waterproof encasement surrounds the interior for added protection against leaks and household allergens
- With the extra inner encasement design, baby can safely use the crib mattress while the CozyFresh™ cover is in the wash
- CertiPUR-US Certified foam materials – made without harsh chemicals and VOCs, no PBDES, lead, phthalates or ozone depleters
BEST AFFORDABLE CRIB MATTRESS
Babyletto Pure Core Crib Mattress
Babyletto’s Pure Core Crib mattress has a Smart Cover that’s water repellant to help with when those accidents happen. The mattress cover is vinyl free and the inside of the cover has the waterproof backing while the exterior is soft cotton that is gentle on your baby’s face.
WHY WE LOVE IT?
- The soft and breathable water repellent cover wicks moisture on the surface without immediate absorption and helps keep moisture out; The elasticated seam makes it easy-to-remove for washing
- This is a 2-stage dual-sided mattress with a firm supportive side for infants and can be flipped to a softer side for toddlers
BEST MINI CRIB MATTRESS
Lullaby Earth Breathable Mini Crib Mattress
This one may be small in size, but it’s big on comfort.
WHY WE LOVE IT?
- Breathable layer between the baby and the mattress. Breathable layer is waterproof and removable for hygienic purposes.
- No toxic chemical odors/smells, vinyl, phthalates, polyurethane foam, flame retardant chemicals or barriers, formaldehyde, pesticides, GMO’s or glues/adhesives
- Lightweight for easy sheet changing and cleaning
- Overall: 24″ wide x 37″ long x 3″ thick
Our Favorite Mattress Cover
Lullaby Earth Breeze Air Breathable Mattress Cover
This breathable mattress cover features built-in waterproofing and cooling technology, which ensures that they’ll have a comfy night’s sleep. It has no harmful chemicals, no flame retardants, no toxic odors/smells, no vinyl, no phthalate, no polyurethane foam, no formaldehyde, no pesticides, no GMO’s or glues/adhesives. AKA no bad stuff.
It comes in both a Standard and Mini size.
Shop Our Top Mattress Picks Below!
Are you still searching for your perfect crib? Check out our Top Cribs and Top Pottery Barn Cribs article to help you decide which is right for your family.
About the Author
Pin for Later- 5 Top Crib Mattresses
Frequently Asked Questions
Are expensive crib mattresses worth it?
Expensive crib mattresses can be a worthwhile investment. You want to make sure your baby’s crib is safe and durable as they will sleep on it into their toddler years.
Which crib mattress is the safest?
The breathability of the Newton Baby Crib mattress is unmatched, making it one of the safest cribs on the market. Besides breathability, you want to look for a crib mattress that has been third party tested and id Greengaurd GOLD Certified.
Does it matter what crib mattress you buy?
In most cases, as long as you are following the safe sleep guidelines, any newly purchased crib mattress is fine. It is important to make sure the mattress fits properly in the crib with no gaps larger than 2 fingers.
How much should I spend on a crib mattress?
A high-quality crib mattress will cost around $100-$300.