How was your day? It is pretty much the first questions I ask my kids or husband after their day at school and work. It also leads to probably the blandest responses, like fine, good, ok (at least ok is two syllables). I noticed that the conversations at the dinner table were really lacking so I decided to up my convo game with my family, cause “fine and good” just aren’t cutting it with me. So, I started trying out a new routine and here are the best questions, that generated more than one-word responses.
How was your day?
40 Incredibly better Conversation Starters
About your Day Questions
Here are 10 good questions where I basically asked “How’s your day” but got a good response.
- Rate your day from 1-10, (1 being awful ”“ 10 being a-mazing). What made your day a _____?
- What was the hardest part of your day?
- Who did you have lunch with today?
- What did you do at recess?
- What is one thing you learned today?
- Who had the best day today? Why? (This is great for if you have multiple kids, they all want to compete for this one, almost everytime)
- What was the grossest thing someone was eating at lunch today?
- What is the best part of your day?
- Who did you talk to today? What did you talk about?
- What is one thing you would have liked to change about your day?
Sometimes you have to outsource your creativity to get out of the “How was your day” conversation rut. These table topics are awesome and we have had them in our house for years. Actually, the table topics were on Oprah’s favorite things this past year, I like to think she got the idea from our family. Here are some of our favorite questions from them.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
- What is the one thing you admire about your sibling
- What is your favorite thing about our hometown
- If you could have a superpower, which one would you choose and why?
- Which household chores do you like and which do you try to avoid?
- Which school subject will be the most important for your life?
- What’s the best Birthday party you can imagine?
- Will you discipline your kids the same way your parents disciplined you?
- Would you like to see an alien?
- Which famous athlete would you love to meet?
- Which wild animal would you like to tame and keep as a pet?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- Which TV show would you like to live in for a week?
- Would you value a toy or a vacation more?
- What’s the best junk food ever created?
Would you Rather Questions
Would you rather questions are my husband’s favorite ones to come up with. I think it is in his DNA to come up with some really off the wall ones. They may not have to do with “How was your day?” but they are a great way to get the family talking.
- Would you rather play a villain or a hero in a movie?
- Would you rather eat a small can of dog food or go to school this weekend?
- Would you rather hold a snake or an eel?
- Would you rather wear clown makeup every day for a year or wear a tutu every day for a year?
- Would you rather have a horse’s tail or a unicorn horn?
- Would you rather eat candy or ice cream for dessert every night?
- Would you rather live in a mansion but never could step outside, or live on the street and never sleep inside.
- Would you rather live in a boathouse or a treehouse?
This is another one where I used a little outsourcing. We got the voting game from my sister in law for Christmas one year. Now, let me preface that this game is for adults but my husband just sorted out the inappropriate cards (there are a few) and Ever since this game has become part of our dinner ritual. These are great for our family cause everyone likes to express their opinion about their siblings and parents. We did alter the game a bit to make it quick and fun, What I do is have a question like “Who is most likely to win their neighborhood Christmas Decorating Contest win they grow up” all the kids put their heads down and vote using their fingers (“1” for dad, “2” for mom, “3” for our oldest, “4” for 2nd oldest etc….)
Here are some of our favorite voting questions.
- Who is most likely to pretend to not speak English to get out of a conversation?
- Who is most likely to show up at their high school reunion in a rented Ferrari?
- Which family member is most likely to have the most kids?
- Who is most likely to be famous someday?
- Which person is most likely to win the lottery?
- Who is most likely to get married on an island?
- Who is most likely to date a celebrity?
What conversation starters do you use at dinner time?
You might also like:
Conversation tips for preschoolers
Cultivate the art of conversation
Pin for Later – How was your day? – 40 Incredibly better Conversation Starters